Psalms of Lament

Sunday June 18, 2017

Psalm 13
How long will you forget me, LORD?
Forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long will I be left to my own wits,
Agony filling my heart?  Daily?
How long will my enemy keep defeating me?
Look at me!
Answer me, LORD my God!
Restore sight to my eyes!
Otherwise, I’ll sleep the sleep of death,
And my enemy will say, “I won!”
My foes will rejoice over my downfall.
But I have trusted in your faithful love.
My heart will rejoice in your salvation.
Yes, I will sing to the LORD
Because he has been good to me.


Psalms are prayers to God.  They reflect the author’s image of God and experience of God in the world.  They are the hymn book of songs to God.

An active faith life will produce an evolving image of God.  Many theologians would argue that part of the reason so many people leave the church is because they have not been given the space or permission to push against their image of God so that it can develop, evolve or grow.  They maintain a childhood concept of God that then doesn’t meet the spiritual needs of an adult and they find God to be irrelevant. 
We may find that when life is going along with no major obstacles, when everyone we love is healthy and doing well, that our image of God is helpful.  But when things become challenging, when someone we love gets the diagnosis of a major illness, or family relationships become strained we may find that our relationship and image with God is strained.  

Has your image of God changed over the years?  In what moments did you feel a need to allow that image to grow?  Are you open to living into growth, even in your image of God? 


Prayer:  God of desert places, we remember the moments that Christ suffered and know that we are not alone in our suffering.  Help us to be mindful of those in our world who have found themselves in a place of abandonment.  In your Holy name we pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Faithfulness

Grace