Praying the Psalms

Monday June 26, 2017

 

Psalm 23
 The Lord is my shepherd.
    I lack nothing.
He lets me rest in grassy meadows;
    he leads me to restful waters;
        he keeps me alive.
He guides me in proper paths
    for the sake of his good name.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley,
    I fear no danger because you are with me.
Your rod and your staff—
    they protect me.
You set a table for me
    right in front of my enemies.
You bathe my head in oil;
    my cup is so full it spills over!
Yes, goodness and faithful love
    will pursue me all the days of my life,
    and I will live in the Lord’s house
    as long as I live.
    his faithfulness lasts generation after generation.


As you read through the psalm what words jump out at you?  Does one word seem to draw you into the presence of God?  Maybe the words guides, or protect, or goodness, or faithful love.  Take the word that draws you into the presence of God and use it for a centering prayer.  In centering prayer, we rest in God’s presence.  As your mind wanders (and it will), repeat your centering word to bring you back.  As ideas come into your mind, allow them to not occupy your mind, simply notice they are there and let go of them.  If you need to focus again on your centering word, do so. 


You may imagine your words floating by like the clouds or like driftwood in a river.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Faithfulness

Grace