God's guidance

Thursday June 29, 2017

Psalm 23
 The Lord is my shepherd.
    I lack nothing.
He lets me rest in grassy meadows;
    he leads me to restful waters;
        he keeps me alive.
He guides me in proper paths
    for the sake of his good name.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley,
    I fear no danger because you are with me.
Your rod and your staff—
    they protect me.
You set a table for me
    right in front of my enemies.
You bathe my head in oil;
    my cup is so full it spills over!
Yes, goodness and faithful love
    will pursue me all the days of my life,
    and I will live in the Lord’s house
    as long as I live.

What if the psalmist isn’t just speaking about enemies apart from us in verse 5, but is speaking about the discord and disunity that happens in our communities, even within our own families?  The psalmist then is gratefully praying for God’s presence with us and ability to gift us with wisdom to navigate hostile conversations. 
In Matthew chapter 5 we read, “You have heard that it was said, you must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.  But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who harass you so that you will be acting as children of your Father who is in heaven.  He makes the sun rise on both the evil and the good and sends rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous.  If you love only those who love you, what reward do you have?”


Pray for God to help you to hear people who have a different perspective than you do.  Take a moment to name and pray for those who you call your enemy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Faithfulness

Grace