Love Wins


Daily reading: John 18:33-40
Holy Saturday April 15, 2017

Focus passage: “So you are a king?” Pilate said. Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king.  I was born and come into the world for this reason: to testify to the truth.  Whoever accepts the truth listens to my voice.” John 18:37

Jesus began his earthly ministry by announcing “the Kingdom of God is near.”  And now as he stands trial he says “My kingdom doesn’t originate from this world.  If it did, my guards would fight so that I wouldn’t have been arrested by the Jewish leaders.  My kingdom isn’t from here.”

This might be the most difficult passage of scripture to get our heads around.  The Kingdom of God isn’t won by violence or coercion, it is won through the unconditional love of God that sustains and supports us no matter what.  

The cross then isn’t an act to appease a vengeful God, but a symptom of a world that solves problems through violence and not through love.

Take time today to contemplate the space between death and resurrection.  Seek for God in the darkness of this day.  

Take time in this final day of Lent, to look back on what you let go of for the season.  Was it meaningful?  What insights did the practice bring to you?  Has it opened you up to see other areas of your life that need work?


Prayer:  God I know that tomorrow will be a day of great celebration, help me to rest in this day as I let go of the things that need to be released so that resurrection can happen. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace