Blindness

Daily reading: Luke 18:31-19:10
Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Focus passage: 35 As Jesus came to Jericho, a certain blind man was sitting beside the road begging. 36 When the man heard the crowd passing by, he asked what was happening. 37 They told him, “Jesus the Nazarene is passing by.”38 The blind man shouted, “Jesus, Son of David, show me mercy.” 39 Those leading the procession scolded him, telling him to be quiet, but he shouted even louder, “Son of David, show me mercy.”
40 Jesus stopped and called for the man to be brought to him. When he was present Jesus asked, 41 “What do you want me to do for you?”He said, “Lord, I want to see.”
42 Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight! Your faith has healed you.” 43 At once he was able to see, and he began to follow Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they praised God too. (Luke 18:35-43)

Even in their confusion, Jesus doesn’t give up on the disciples.  He still journeys with them, he still brings them along.
And so in the midst of their blindness, they come to Jericho which is just north east of Jerusalem.  As they enter Jericho they encounter a blind man sitting beside the road begging.
After some shouting and some scolding, Jesus hears the blind man yelling above the noise of the crowd and stops and talks to him.  Listen for all the sight words beginning in verse 40.
“Jesus stopped and called for the man to be brought to him.  When he was present Jesus asked, “What do you want me to do for you?”
He said, “Lord, I want to see.”
Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight!  Your faith has healed you.”  At once, he was able to see and he began to follow Jesus, praising God.  When all the people saw it, they praised God too.
He was able to see and began to follow Jesus.  And the crowd saw it and praised God too.
In what areas of your life are you blind?  Are there viewpoints you refuse to hear?  Are you stuck in certain patterns that close down conversation and growth rather than sprout them?
Prayer: God, allow me to be seen.  Help me to let go of what I need to let go of.  Help me to seek your forgiveness and move forward.  Help me to see my family, my friends, my community.  The people I would rather not see and love, the people I have judged unworthy, help me to see them and break my heart so you can put it back together.  Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace