Betrayal

Daily reading: John 13:21-30
Holy Wednesday April 12, 2017

Focus passage: After he said these things, Jesus was deeply disturbed and testified, “I assure you, one of you will betray me.” John 13:21

I am constantly aware of the vulnerability we are called to embrace in our faith community and in our closest relationships.  I find that I expend a lot of energy guarding myself and yet God gently reminds me that our call is to love God and to love our neighbor and that means that we have to be willing to be vulnerable.

A mentor of mind, Rev. Herb Lynskey once posed this thought at a clergy retreat: “Judas was an answer to a prayer.”  He was referring to when Jesus prayed before calling the Twelve.   I struggled with this thought because I like to vilify Judas to put him in his own box.  I like to think that I would never be like him, that I would never betray a close friend. But to box him up so nicely keeps me from seeing a part of me I would rather not see.  We all have the capability of being like Judas.  We all have the capability of being like Jesus also, of welcoming in those who we wonder about.  


Prayer:  God walk with me through this week of betrayal, denial, desertion and crucifixion.  In the noise and busy-ness of my day may I remember to stay grounded in your love. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace