Responding to need

Daily reading: Luke 16:19-31
Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Focus passage: As his gate lay a certain poor man named Lazarus who was covered with sores. Lazarus longed to eat the crumbs that fell from the rich man’s table. Luke 16:20-21a

Some scholars speculate about how Lazarus ended up at the gate of this very rich man.  Since he is lying there, perhaps unable to move, then how did he get there?  Did he use all of his energy to get there?
If we are to believe that he is so ill that he is only able to lay and not even verbally beg for food, then we wonder if some other members of the community perhaps took him there and left him there in hopes that the rich man would have compassion on him and help him.

Now I don’t know the ends and out of the social welfare system in the ancient world, but what I can relate to in this passage is our tendency to disassociate ourselves from the needs of others.

They are not my problem, we think as we pass someone in need.  Or we hope that someone else will take care of their needs.  I know that I tend to want to help emergency needs very differently than chronic needs.  Do you make the same distinction?

How does this passage challenge your understanding of responsibility to help someone in need?


Prayer: God this week open my eyes to my own poverty of spirit and help me to let go of the allures of this world for your kingdom.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness