Noticing one another

Daily reading: Luke 16:19-31
Thursday, March 30, 2017

Focus passage: “The poor man died and was carried by angels to Abraham’s side.  The rich man also died and was buried.  While being tormented in the place of the dead, he looked up and saw Abraham at a distance with Lazarus at his side.  He shouted, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me.  Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue because I’m suffering in this flame.’ Luke 16:22-24

How we approach our relationship with God deeply influences the way we read any bible passage, especially with one that speaks of a great reversal of fortunes like this one does.

The subtle nuances of the parable will lead to different conclusions, in some ways, if we approach our relationship with God from a place of fear or from a place of love.  However, regardless of the approach, the parable forces us to examine our lives and to ask, have I ignored a call from help? 

Am I so focused on myself and my own needs that I do not realize my connection with the whole human family and with the planet?  Do I realize that I am part of a greater whole and that my action or lack of action has a ripple effect on the whole?

On one very basic level this parable is a cautionary tale about what can drastically go wrong when we have the means to help others and we refuse to see their need and respond.  It creates a broken world where there are impassable crevasses.  It signals a break down in communication on a very basic level.


Prayer: God this week open my eyes to my own poverty of spirit and help me to let go of the allures of this world for your kingdom.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness