Love Your Neighbor

Background passage: Luke 10:25-42
Daily reading: Leviticus 19:1-4; 18
Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Focus scripture: You must not take revenge nor hold a grudge against any of your people; instead, you must love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:18

How do you define neighbor?  The definition changes and shifts throughout the bible.  It doesn’t necessarily mean the people who live in close proximity to you.  It can mean those who also worship the same God that you do. 

I can remember back in school being somewhat shocked to find out that back in the good old days that people knew their neighbors.  I was shocked mainly from the revelation that I didn’t know all of my neighbors.  Like the family that lived to the right of my house.  They didn’t have small children so I didn’t know them.  In fact the only neighbors I knew where those who had kids my age.  In a way we knew those who we had something in common with.

Our refusal (now maybe that is too strong of a word, but follow my point first) to get to know our neighbors sort of boxes us into a world, where we only know those who we have something in common with.  It doesn’t really push us outside of our comfort zone, or to grow. 

Take time to get to know one of your geographical neighbors that you don’t already know.  Or take time to do a prayer walk in your neighborhood.  (Praying for each household as you walk by.)


Prayer: God help me to love you with all of my heart, soul, strength and mind and help me to love my neighbor as I love myself.  Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness