Love your enemy

Background passage: Luke 10:25-42
Daily reading: Matthew 5:43-45 and Luke 6:32-35
Thursday, March 9, 2017

Focus passages: “Instead, love your enemies, do good, and lend expecting nothing in return…” Luke 6:35a

“But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who harass you.” Matthew 5:43
Here Jesus breaks from the mold and speaks radical words to those that would listen.  He teaches us that we are called to love and pray for our enemies.
This might be quite possibly the hardest lesson we can hear, learn and practice.  It is witnessed in the strength of the non-violent strain of the civil rights movement.  To be able to not return violence with violence, to hope and pray that mutual respect can develop, is an act of true faithfulness. 
In our polarized society, Jesus calls all of us to be part of God’s family. 
Do you have a story to share of loving one’s enemy? 
Who do you consider to be an enemy?  Write their names down and say a prayer for them and pray for God to soften your heart.


Prayer: God help me to love you with all of my heart, soul, strength and mind and help me to love my neighbor as I love myself.  Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Faithfulness

Grace