Letting Go

Daily reading: Luke 2:22-40
Thursday, January 5, 2017

When we choose to follow God, to follow Jesus, we really give up our ability to be in control.  We have to be OK with God’s ‘we’ll see.’  Have you ever had someone say that to you?  We’ll see?  My parents did that all the time when I  was growing up and normally in response to something I wanted 10 seconds ago and their ‘we’ll see’ put my want into the infinite space of waiting.  The ‘we’ll see’ reminded me that I was not in control.
After all, isn’t that at the heart of waiting:  of recognizing that we are not in control, of when something will happen and so many other things in our lives? 
We wait for response, for reaction, for time to pass.  And while we may be waiting to accomplish something or to be able to check it off of our to do list, what Simeon and Anna were waiting for was just a glimpse.  They just wanted to know that their prayer that God would come near had been answered, nothing more, nothing less. 


Prayer: Patient God, help me to allow Your presence to work within me, so that I can grow in faithfulness.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace