The gift of the Spirit

Daily reading: Joel 2:12-13, 28-29
Saturday December 10, 2016

Focus passage: 28 After that I will pour out my spirit upon everyone;
        your sons and your daughters will prophesy,
        your old men will dream dreams,
        and your young men will see visions.
29 In those days, I will also pour out my
    spirit on the male and female slaves. Joel 2:28-29

Through the prophet Joel, we read that God casts the net of invitation wide.  The Spirit of God will be poured out on everyone, not just on the priestly community, but on everyone; on the men and the women, on the young and the old, on absolutely everyone.

The gift of the Spirit is open to us all.  It is up to us to have a willing heart to receive the gift: To hold that dream and vision for shalom peace with God.  To let that dream become an active faithful response to the great needs in our community and beyond.  It only comes together when we all join together in returning to God and opening ourselves up to the guidance of the Spirit.

What dream or vision from God is waiting to be born among us?   How might your active participation in living out shalom peace help prepare room in your heart, in your community for the presence of God?


Prayer: God, help me to fully return to you.  I open myself to join in your dream for shalom peace within myself and for my community and world.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace