Forgetting

Daily reading: Jeremiah 31:31-34
Monday November 21, 2016

Forgetting seems to be a staple in my family’s life.  I often hear or find myself starting sentences with “I forgot to” or “we forgot.” 
Or “did you forget to pick up,
put away, pack, take, call,
go to, finish, bring,
paired with the don’t forgets.  
“Don’t forget to take out, bring,
leave for me, take in,
turn off or lock up” …

The school year seems to make it even more pressing because, as a parent teaching my children how to be responsible, I still check assignments and talk about packing up backpacks as I find items from school in various places around the house.

I am looking forward to this week of rest for my children and from the hectic pace of mornings and evenings.  Remembering and not forgetting can be exhausting. Almost as exhausting as it is to live with regret and constantly remembering things that we really should forget.

You see, there are things we really need to forget because they wound us and keep us in a holding pattern of regret, they drag us away from joy and deeply burden us.

In the passage of scripture Jeremiah says that God will “forgive their wrongdoing and never again remember their sins.”
 Prayer: Gracious God, help me to let go of the things that wound me and keep me from fully experiencing your love and grace.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness