Choosing to forget

Daily reading: Jeremiah 31:31-34
Wednesday November 23, 2016

Focus passage: They will no longer need to each other to say. “Know the LORD!” because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the LORD; for I will forgive their wrongdoing and never again remember their sins.  Jeremiah 31:34

It sounds like in this moment God is choosing to forget.
Maybe it is a metaphor, but I like to think not. In this moment, I am drawn to the deep seated heart break that God has for a people that seemingly refused to be faithful and the only way forward, the only way to bear the pain is to forget.
But I wonder is that really possible?
A benchmark lesson of marital counseling is to learn to forgive and move forward.  Don’t heap up the sins of the past in a current argument.  If you are arguing about who was supposed to pay the electric bill don’t bring up the laundry list of everything your partner has done that was offensive up to that moment.  It can be hard to do, because we cling and pile up. We don’t easily forget the harm others have inflicted on us as easily as we forget to get a needed item at the grocery store.
So I wonder if God was really able to forget the sins of the people.
What does it mean that God will forget?

Prayer: Gracious God, help me to let go of the things that wound me and keep me from fully experiencing your love and grace.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness