Putting God First

Daily reading: 2 Samuel 7:1-17
Wednesday October 26, 2016

Focus passage: In fact, I haven’t lived in a temple from the day I brought Israel out of Egypt until now.  Instead, I have been traveling around in a tent and in a dwelling. 2 Samuel 7:6

David had in essence completed the task, the people were now in the land of promise, the land flowing with milk and honey and what more of a legacy could he leave behind than not only constructing a palace for his dynasty but also a permanent temple for God to mark this moment in history for all time?

David had this image for how God would fit into the world and wanted to box it in with bricks and mortar.  Let me show my gratitude in a way that I see is fitting for God.
Sojourners seek for something tangible, a future possibility; it is what drives them forward.
Now that David is in this settled place, no longer on the battlefield, no longer running for his life, no longer facing the giants that seek to destroy his people, he wants to do something for God.  And I think this is where it gets hard for us.
What’s wrong with wanting to do something for God?
Let’s look at the passage again to figure this one out.
Something stirred in Nathan that night, in his slumber he realized the error and was able to hear God.

In verse 7 we read, “Throughout my traveling around with the Israelite's, did I ever ask any of Israel’s tribal leaders I appointed to shepherd my people: Why haven’t you built me a cedar temple?”

You see, our dreams, our visions are so limited when we don’t talk to God about them, when we don’t allow God to do the dreaming for us or to provide the vision.


Prayer: God, help me to put you first in my thoughts and in my actions.  May I be an instrument for you today.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace