God responding to deep need

Daily reading: Exodus 12:1-13, 13:1-8
Sunday October 2, 2016

Focus passage: Then the LORD said, “I’ve clearly seen my people oppressed in Egypt.  I’ve heard their cry of injustice because of their slave masters.  I know about their pain.  I’ve come down to rescue them from the Egyptians in order to take them out of that land and bring them to a good and broad land, a land that’s full of milk and honey …” Exodus 3:7-8

We have been exploring the stories of the Hebrew Scriptures through the lens of the promising God.  Two weeks ago we explored the story of God promising Abraham and Sarah to become the patriarchs and matriarchs of a great nation, to live in a land of promise and for their family to be a great blessing.  The family has grown in three generations to be quiet large; Jacob had a total of 12 sons.  Last week we saw that despite the famine that hit Canaan, the family is preserved through the work of their brother Joseph.  We read in the beginning of the book of Exodus that the family of Abraham has grown numerous and strong, the new pharaoh doesn’t know Joseph and so sees the people as a threat rather than a blessing and enslaves them.  Over close to 400 years the people cry out to God to deliver them.

The story of the Exodus can be summed up in Exodus 3:7-8.  “Then the LORD said, “I’ve clearly seen my people oppressed in Egypt.  I’ve heard their cry of injustice because of their slave masters.  I know about their pain.  I’ve come down to rescue them from the Egyptians in order to take them out of that land and bring them to a good and broad land, a land that’s full of milk and honey …”

Prayer:  Faithful God, you lead us into an unknown future, help me to let go of the things, attitudes, assumptions and habits that are keeping me from living joyfully in the future.  Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace