Faithful stewardship

Daily reading: 1 Samuel 1:9-11,19-20, 2:1-10
Friday October 21, 2016

Focus passage: “Excuse me sir!” Hannah said.   “As surely as you live, sir, I am the woman who stood here next to you, praying to the LORD.  I prayed for this boy, and the LORD gave me what I asked from him.  So now I give this boy back to the LORD.  As long as he lives, he is given to the LORD.”  Then they worshiped there before the LORD. 1 Samuel 1:26-28

This story, then, is also not only a story of faithfulness, it is also a story of stewardship.  A faithful steward chooses to enter into active partnership with God and with others. 

Hannah understood deeply that our relationship with God costs something.  Our faithful life is a constant bending and movement toward God and should be reflected holistically in our life.   Our stewardship of all that we have and all that we are, is then lived out as acts of faithfulness.  We together, with our resources, help the vision of God’s kingdom to become manifest in our world. 

Our faithful stewardship happens in the mundane moments of our day.  St. Teresa of Avila once notices that “Christ dwells among the pots and pans.”  In other words, if we don’t recognize the presence of Christ in our daily living, then we probably miss his presence all together.


Prayer:  God, help me to see how I can fully live my life as an offering to you.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness