A generous gift


Daily reading: 1 Samuel 1:9-11,19-20, 2:1-10
Wednesday October 19, 2016

Focus passage: “Excuse me sir!” Hannah said.   “As surely as you live, sir, I am the woman who stood here next to you, praying to the LORD.  I prayed for this boy, and the LORD gave me what I asked from him.  So now I give this boy back to the LORD.  As long as he lives, he is given to the LORD.”  Then they worshiped there before the LORD. 1 Samuel 1:26-28

The remarkable part of the story is when she offers to God even before she has it, the gift of her son to the priesthood.  Before the son is even within her grasp, before she can feel the first movement of him in her womb, she trusts her child into the future.

I can only imagine what it will feel like when we take our daughter and  our son to college and leave them and come back home to go through the rhythm of fall, winter and spring without them at home.  Dan and I have been given 18 years to prepare ourselves for this day.  I cannot imagine what Hannah felt taking her just weaned son to the temple to be raised by Eli.
She takes this gift, that she is sure can only come from God, and offers it to the community of faith.  Her faithfulness has guided her to this point, to be a generous steward of the gift that God has blessed her with.


Prayer:  God, help me to see how I can fully live my life as an offering to you.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness