The unexpected kingdom

Daily reading: Luke 13:18-21
Wednesday August 24, 2016

Focus passage: Jesus asked, “What is God’s kingdom like?  To what can I compare it?” Luke 13:18

Parables are rich in meaning, they often leave us with more questions than answers and Jesus rarely explains them, leaving us room to grow into the stories he teaches.

While the kingdom is at hand, there is a real sense in which it is hidden and in the dark like yeast in dough that has yet to rise.
The kingdom, we are told, is like a mustard seed, an invasive weed of the Ancient Near East that no farmer with any good sense would plant because it is uncontrollable.


Prayer: God, help me to experience your kingdom today, in my words and my actions guide me.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness