God answers Job

Daily reading: Job 38-41
Wednesday August 10, 2016

Focus passage: “Where were you when I laid earth’s foundations?  Tell me if you know.  Who set its measurements?  Surely you know.”  Job 38:4-5

In the book of Job, after the friend’s voices are quiet, God’s voice emerges and God’s response to Job isn’t what we would expect.  If we followed the logic of his friends, God would speak to Job and tell him what sin he committed that resulted in the loss of everything that mattered to him in his life.  Instead he gets a response that expands and pushes against Job and his understanding of God in the universe.

God speaks up and asks Job a number of questions beginning with “Where were you when I laid earth’s foundations?  Tell me if you know.  Who set its measurements?  Surely you know.”  (Job 38:4-5)

Over and over, God asks questions like “From whose belly does ice come; who gave birth to heaven’s frost?” (Job 38:29)  “Who put wisdom in remote places, or who gave understanding to a rooster?”  (Job 38:36) “Is it due to your understanding that the hawk flies, spreading its wings to the south?” (Job 39:26)  To all of the questions Job knows the answer is not me. 


Prayer:  God of the suffering Christ, I praise you for you have never abandoned me.  Your faithfulness is beyond comprehension.  Help me to accept my current reality and find your loving presence in the now.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace