A part of the whole

Daily reading Job 42:1-6
Saturday August 13, 2016

Focus passage:  Therefore, I relent and find comfort on dust and ashes. Job 42:6

God’s explanation takes Job from a place of “why me” to a place where he sees that he is part of a much greater whole than he had ever imagined.  Job isn’t the center of creation and neither is humanity.  But it is part of God’s creation that God cares for and takes delight in. 

Our suffering doesn’t end only when the pain is gone, but it ultimately ends when we accept our new current reality, when we begin to look forward and not pine for the past.  Acceptance helps us to move to a place of peace and joy despite the chaos that might be blowing around us.


We all probably have joined with Job one time or another in saying “but this isn’t the way it is supposed to be.”  I have heard it countless times in my ministry and it breaks my heart, because in those moments of suffering we are so helpless.

Faithfulness requires that we accept our current reality and seek the presence of God right now.  In all situations we are called to not only be aware that we are not alone, that God is with us, but as followers of Christ we are called to seek out the lonely and the suffering and be present with them. 



Prayer:  God of the suffering Christ, I praise you for you have never abandoned me.  Your faithfulness is beyond comprehension.  Help me to accept my current reality and find your loving presence in the now.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace