Treasured

Daily reading: 2 Corinthians 4:1-15
Sunday June 5, 2016

Focus passage: But we have this treasure in clay pots so that the awesome power belongs to God and doesn’t come from us. 2 Corinthians 4:7

When I was a child I was taught that we were never to write in books.  It probably was a lesson taught in school so that we did not mark up the books we were borrowing for the year.  But it stuck with me, along with the idea that we were to be especially careful with our bibles.  
We were all given a bible in third grade and were expected to bring it to Sunday school and worship each week.  They were all identical and were inscribed inside with a special message from the church along with our names printed nicely.
My cat, Daisy liked to chew on things and got a hold of the edge of the black cover and made a small tear in the top front corner.  I can still remember sitting in class, holding my hand carefully over the tear, hoping that no adult would see.
I needed to know 2 Corinthians 4 when I was small, I needed to know that it is okay for everything not to be perfect in fact it is hard to find something that is.  I needed to know that the rip wasn’t a big deal.
It wasn’t until a number of years later that I was at my grandmother’s house and before bed time, saw her reading her bible.  Oh my, how it was written in.  There wasn’t any space to add words in the margins and sentences were underlined and highlighted.  She taught me that a good bible is one that had its spine broken and the pages holding on with a thread.

Prayer:  God fill me with your love and grace so that it can pour out into my community this week.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace