The power of forgiveness

Daily reading: 2 Corinthians 2:1-10
Thursday June 2, 2016

Focus passage: If you forgive anyone for anything, I do too.  And whatever I’ve forgiven (if I’ve forgiven anything), I did it for you in the presence of Christ. 2 Corinthians 2:10

Forgiveness does mean that we will choose not to seek revenge or to treat the person who has wronged us in the same way they are treating us. There is a power in forgiveness because when we don’t forgive we allow the person who wronged us to have power over us.  And maybe this has happened to you, someone has done something to you and it hurt you maybe physically, maybe spiritually, maybe emotionally and you hold onto that hurt and that moment. 

Perhaps what happened even begins to control you, the hurt and the anger, you want the person to admit their wrongdoing, you may even want revenge, and every time you think about it all of those emotions flood back into your life. 

Bad experiences can begin to own us.  We can become weighed down and find that our heart becomes calcified and hard.  Our perception of the whole world, of the people we encounter can be altered when we hold onto past wrongs.  When we refuse to forgive we can become bitter and this changes who we are, it can rob us of our joy.   When we forgive we are saying that this moment, this event, this person is no longer going to control me. 


Prayer:  God help me to embrace forgiveness for myself and for others.  Be known in the mending of my brokenness and in the broken relationships in my life.  Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness