The Shape of Resurrection



Daily reading Acts 3:1-10
Monday April 11, 2016

Focus passage: Peter said, “I don’t have any money, but I will give you what I do have.  In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, rise up and walk!”  Acts 3:7

Throughout the book of Acts and the Epistles or letters that follow, we can see the writing through the lens of one unifying question, what shape does resurrection take?

The book of Acts tells us that resurrection and the gift of the Holy Spirit are not some abstract concepts that we are called to think and believe.  No, they tangible experiences that are a continuation of the Good News that Jesus proclaimed in the gospels.  

Not only did Jesus preach “The Spirit of the Lord us upon me, because the Lord has anointed me, He has sent me to preach good news to the poor, to proclaim release to the prisoners and recovery of sight to the blind, to liberate the oppressed, and to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”  

He made the gospel tangible by feeding bread and fish to hungry crowds.

He made the gospel tangible by healing people and restoring communities.

The same happens through the disciples in the book of Acts.  The message of resurrection is tangible not only in their words but also in their actions.

Prayer:  God help me to see those on the margins and welcome them in.  God, for those times when I am placed on the margins, give me the strength to claim my space within the community that has placed me outside, may I exhibit grace and love for those who do not see me.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness