Road Trip!



Daily reading: 1 Corinthians 1:10-18
Monday April 25, 2016

Focus passage: My brothers and sisters, Chloe’s people gave me some information about you that you’re fighting with each other. 1 Corinthians 1:11

It takes a great deal of patience, endurance and faith to get into a car with kids and go on a road trip.  It occurred early on to Dan and I that since our kids were in their car seats, strapped in tightly, we really had no means of enforcing “time out.”  They were in essence held in one spot for at least 10 hours in the car and we had to become creative with the consequences for not treating one another with respect.  We were driven to have to threaten the same thing my parents would say on long road trips, “don’t make me pull over!”
Children don’t seem to have a problem with saying what is on their minds and neither did the community in Corinth.  Paul’s letter is like the parent’s response to a whole mess of chaos thrown up in his face at once.
Anyone who has ever dealt with fighting children, especially siblings can resonate with Paul’s opening words for today, “Now I encourage you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ: agree with each other and don’t be divided into rival groups.”
Prayer: God, in the places in the world where I find division, help me to be a bridge builder. In the places in my life where I find division, help me to see the fundamentals of unity and allow the things that are not essential to fall away. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Grace

The Lost: A story about the older son