Certainty



Daily reading: Mark 13:1-8, 24-37
Monday March 14, 2016

Focus passage: “Tell us, when will these things happen?  What sign will show that all these things are about to come to an end?” Mark 13:4

We all crave certainty.  Mark’s audience would have heard this part of the gospel after the temple had fallen.  Their world was literally in a place of upheaval and major change, not unlike our own.  And when we face upheaval and major change we seek out certainty.  

We want something to hold onto, something that represents security, especially when we feel that our world is falling apart.

The challenge is not to hold onto something where you put so much faith in it that you turn that thing into an idol.  I find myself doing that at times.  I internally think well if this is now gone at least I can hold onto the other things in my life.    In the end I think it is my way of coping with loss, but I see it as a stage and not the end result.  Ultimately God never promised us certainty, but God does promises to be with us in the uncertainty of our days.

Prayer:  God in the uncertainty of tomorrow, help me to be alert today of your presence, instill within me faithfulness.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace