Sight



Daily reading: Mark 10:32-52
Tuesday February 23, 2016

Focus passage: Jesus and his followers came into Jericho.  As Jesus was leaving Jericho, together with his disciples and a sizable crowd, a blind beggar named Bartimaeus, Timaeus’ son, was sitting beside the road.  When he heard that Jesus of Nazareth was there, he began to shout, “Jesus, Son of David, show me mercy!” Mark 10:46-47

This gospel passage hinges on this question, what does it mean to see?  Ironically we find that the blind man Bartimaeus, is able to see Jesus more clearly than the disciples that have been journeying with him for some time.

The disciples seem to see things clearly for a moment of time and then their vision is clouded once again.  We saw it a few weeks ago when Peter is able to proclaim that Jesus is the Christ, when no one else in the crowd or among the disciples has seen it, Peter has.  But quickly his vision blurs when he will not accept the type of Messiah that Jesus is.  Peter it turns out had not really seen Jesus all that clearly when we learns that Jesus is a suffering Messiah.

The same can be said for James and John, they had seen the transfigured Christ and also heard three times that the road to Jerusalem will be marked with pain and suffering, yet they are more concerned with the reward they will receive by following Jesus.

We often see what we want to.  Ultimately the question is, am I faithful because I am desiring that God will give me what I want, or am I faithful because I am desiring for God to give me what I need?  The second question will prove to challenge and stretch us and help us to grow.

Prayer:  God help me to see more clearly, help me to grow in the servant ministry of Christ today.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace