Gifts



Daily reading: Mark 12:1-12
Sunday February 28, 2016

Focus passage: Jesus spoke to them in parables.  “A man planted a vineyard, put a fence around it, dug a pit for the wine press, and built a tower.  Then he rented it to tenant farmers and took a trip.” Mark 12:1

When I was in college my parents bought a car for me.  I worked as a waitress at a golf club outside of the county limits, about a thirty minutes drive west of my home.  My dad on the other hand worked in downtown St. Louis, about a thirty minute drive east of our home.  It took him about two weeks of doing the extra driving me to work and then to his own office when he decided a car for me was the best solution.

I really couldn’t believe I was getting a car.  My older siblings had been given cars, so it wasn’t out of the realm of possibilities, but it was still unbelievable.  

I have to say I took really good care of that car.  I kept it clean, made sure to keep up on oil changes and regular maintenance.  

You know I think about that car and how I really try not to attach strings to the gifts I give to other people.  I try not to place my expectations on them, on how they should value or enjoy the gift because I guess I was taught that at some point in my life that we are to freely give.  But at least with the car, I felt this obligation to be a good steward of that gift my parents had given me.  

We are taught here in the church that God has created us to be in relationship with one another and with God.  We are taught that God has given us the gift of our world where we are called to be good stewards of it, together.

The gifts we have then are to be used to benefit our community and to help it grow.  They aren’t meant to only be consumed but to create opportunities for growth.

Take time today to think about a gift that someone gave you that really cares for you.  How did that gift shape you?  How did it help you to grow?

Prayer:  Holy God, thank you for never giving up on me.  Help me to be a good steward of all that you have given to me.  May my words and my actions be fruitful in my community.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness