Time Away



Daily reading: Mark 1:21-45
Monday January 18, 2016

Focus passage: Early in the morning, well before sunrise, Jesus rose and went to a deserted placed where he could be alone in prayer. Mark 1:35

Every Good Friday my congregation has a prayer vigil.  We invite everyone to sign up for a time slot so that we can have continual prayer on the day we remember Jesus’ crucifixion.  The first couple of years I would forget that my kids were out of school on that day and would schedule a time in the early morning to pray, thinking they would be out of the house. 

My prayer time was not ideal.  I could hear their voices, their arguments in the background and it was distracting.  There is something to be said about getting away to a deserted place to pray. To take time to be still and remember that God is God and we are part of God’s family. 

If you are able to, carve out sometime today away from the distractions of your everyday living for prayer.

Prayer: Help me to mend what is broken in the world.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness