Who will you serve?



Daily reading: Luke 14: 7-24
Background reading: 1 Kings 18:20-39
Monday November 9, 2015

Throughout the bible prophets and Jesus ask the people, who will you serve?

We struggle because we make allowances for ourselves. 
And we join in with the struggle of those who want to follow Jesus
only part time, because they have other needs pressing in their lives.

Jesus sums it up nicely in a parable told in Luke’s gospel, in chapter 14 he tells of a man hosting a large dinner party and he invites a number of guests and we then the excuses they give for not coming to dinner … beginning in verse 18 we read, “One by one, they all began to make excuses.  The first one told him, ‘I bought a farm and must go and see it.  Please excuse me.  Another said, ‘I bought five teams of oxen, and I’m going to check on them.  Please excuse me.’ Another said, ‘I just got married, so I can’t come.’”

We make excuses too.  You might call it having a divided heart or divided loyalty; you may even be willing to name it as two-timing on God. 

Take time today to think about the motivation behind your actions, when are you following God’s lead and when are you not?

Prayer:  God I seek you today.  Help me in the trials of my day and let me feel your presence in the joys of my day.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness