Welcoming Children



Background passage: Hosea 11:1-9
Daily reading: Mark 10:13-16
Saturday November 21, 2015

Focus passage: People were bringing children to Jesus so that he would bless them.  But he disciples scolded them.  Mark 10:13

How do we welcome children into the life of the congregation?  Often we may think like the disciples, “children are to be seen but not to be heard.”  When we take on this view point, we are robbing ourselves of experiencing God in a new way.  We should never assume that a child doesn’t have a deep meaningful relationship with God.

A few years ago while teaching a baptism class that my son was in; I was explaining that on their day of their baptism that we would read their confession of faith.  They were to think why they wanted to follow Jesus and my son asked “why do you think that I am not already following Jesus?”  I was humbled in that moment and glad that he had the courage to ask the question.

Let us not assume that the children do not have something to teach us.

Prayer: God help me to place you more fully in the center of my life.  Help me to be filled with your deep abiding steadfast love and care.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace