Loyalty



Daily reading: 1 Kings 18: 20-39
Wednesday November 11, 2015

After worship on November 1, a member of my congregation asked me who I was cheering for in the World Series.  Everyone knows I’m a Cardinals fan and the gentleman wanted to know if I would also be for the Kansas City Royals since they are also from Missouri. 

I’m sorry to say that I really didn’t have an answer.  I have mixed feelings about being loyal to another team as silly as that sounds.  And so if I were to have watched the amazing game that happened that evening and won the series for the Royals I know that I just wouldn’t have felt the same had it been the Cardinals playing.  I won’t be pacing the floor in the early innings when they were down. I wouldn’t have been jumping up and down and texting to my Cardinals peeps.  

When we don’t feel a fierce loyalty to something or someone it’s hard to get our heart fully into it.    God doesn’t desire that we are lukewarm in our affection toward God.  God desires our entire heart, not a divided heart.

Prayer:  God I seek you today.  Help me in the trials of my day and let me feel your presence in the joys of my day.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Grace

The Lost: A story about the older son