Going back and forth



Daily reading: 1 Kings 18:20-39
Sunday November 8, 2015

Focus passage: Elijah approached all the people and said, “How long will you hobble back and forth between two opinions?  If the LORD is God, follow God.  If Baal is God, follow Baal.”  The people gave no answer. 1 Kings 18:21

I imagine a show down at high noon happening in this passage.   Elijah is surrounded by his fellow Israelites, with King Ahab that has been hunting him down for three years and with 450 prophets of Baal.

He begins with words in verse 21 he says “How long will you hobble back and forth between two opinions?  If YHWH is God, follow God.  If Baal is God, follow Baal.”  The people then gave no answer.

It’s almost like overhearing two teenagers deciding what to do on Friday night and I say that because me and friend Jennifer used to sit on the phone, tying up the only phone we had, saying back and forth, what do you want to do tonight, I don’t know, what do you want to do … I don’t know, what do you want to do?  On and on, we would go until one of our parents would force us to get off the phone.

But it is more than that; it’s ultimately about who we place in the center of our lives.  If our heart is divided then we never truly place anything squarely in the center.  

Elijah begins by saying, stop the back and forth, who do you want to worship … I don’t know … how about Baal today?  How about YHWH tomorrow? I don’t know …  You get the picture?

Elijah says make up your mind!  Choose one or the other!

The hard part is for us today, is that it isn’t as obvious in our lives when we divide our hearts:  when we choose to serve something other than God.

We may not even be aware when we are dividing our heart and going back and forth.

Take time to be in prayer today, as you pray think about your priorities and their hoped for outcomes, are your motives self driven our God driven?

Prayer:  God I seek you today.  Help me in the trials of my day and let me feel your presence in the joys of my day.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Grace

The Lost: A story about the older son