Deep abiding faithfulness



Daily reading: Hosea 11:1-9
Friday November 20, 2015

Focus passage: How can I give you up, Ephraim?  How can I hand you over, Israel?  How can I make you like Admah?  How can I treat you like Zeboiim?  My heart winces within me; my compassion grows warm and tender. Hosea 11:8

Deep abiding faithfulness and love of spills out when we get to verse 8 and we see a relational God whose heart is broken.

“How can I give you up, Ephraim?  How can I give you up?  How can I hand you over?”

And the tears begin to emerge and we can see the broken heart of God.
“How can I treat you like the cities that were destroyed along with Sodom and Gomorrah? My heart winces within me, my compassion grows warm and tender.  I won’t act on the heart of my anger; I won’t return to destroy Ephraim; for I am God and not a human being, the holy one in your midst; I won’t come in harsh judgment.”

This parent will not allow their child to forever be punished or harmed.  This parent is going to meet them in the darkness their child has chosen and will invite them to come out into the light.

This is who our God is.  God is willing to meet us wherever we are.  Even if it is a really scary place, God will meet us there.  God is willing to go wherever we are to know that we are not alone.

Prayer: God help me to place you more fully in the center of my life.  Help me to be filled with your deep abiding steadfast love and care.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Grace

The Lost: A story about the older son