Compassionate Listening


Daily reading: Mark 10:32-45
Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Focus passage:  “Look!” he said.  “We’re going up to Jerusalem.  The Human One will be handed over to the chief priests and the legal experts.  They will condemn him to death and hand him over to the Gentiles.  They will ridicule him, spit on him, torture him, and kill him.  After three days, he will rise up.”  James and John, Zebedee’s sons, came to Jesus and said, … “Allow one of us to sit on your right and the other on your left when you enter your glory.”  Mark 10:33-35a &37

James and John seriously fumble around in this passage.  In Mark’s gospel it is the third time that Jesus has predicted his death and one or more of the disciples always respond with something inappropriate and Jesus then turns it into a teachable moment when he reminds us that the first will be last and the last will be first.

We cringe at their response because they are not responding with compassion to what Jesus is saying to them.

I wonder how many times in my day am I not compassionately listening.  How many times have I missed someone reaching out to me for support?  How many times have I assumed I know what someone else needs from me?

We teach others about service, by serving them.  Take time today to compassionately listen to someone.  Have no other motive in the conversation than to just listen.  Then take time to practice in your daily prayer time, when a fleeting thought enters your mind, jot it down and go back to just spending time listening for God’s still small voice.

Prayer:  God may your Spirit infuse my daily living, may I be the presence of love, mercy, compassion, faithfulness, goodness, justice, joy, peace, kindness and forgiveness to others.  Show me the way to go!  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace