A close relationship



Daily reading: Hosea 11:1-9
Monday November 16, 2015

Focus passage: I led them with bands of human kindness, with cords of love.  I treated them like those who lift infants to their cheeks; I bent down to them and fed them. Hosea 11:4

What images come to mind when you think about your relationship with God?

Do you approach God with fear? Or with love?

A parent image of God isn’t all that uncommon; one of the most popular words I hear people use for God is “Father” but here we see God more in the role of a mother.  And while for younger generations it is somewhat problematic to assign certain characteristics to one gender, perhaps seeing God as Divine Parent is more helpful.  

Hosea introduces this image of a parent/child relationship to express the broken hearted nature of God.  The entire prophetic book is one of broken hearts and while the earlier images in his book are problematic and offensive, they too speak to a seriously strained relationship.
Hosea pulls at our heart strings when he writes God saying, “when Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.”

God sets up God’s relationship with the people Israel in light of one of the closest relationships you may have in your life, one with someone you share your home with.

God desires to be that close to you: To be known and in relationship 24/7.

Prayer: God help me to place you more fully in the center of my life.  Help me to be filled with your deep abiding steadfast love and care.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness