Sojourners



Daily reading: Ruth 1:1-17
Tuesday October 20, 2015

Focus passage: But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to abandon you, to turn back from following after you.  Wherever you go, I will go; and wherever you stay, I will stay.  Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God.” Ruth 1:16

Naomi’s daughter-in-law Ruth has faced a great loss also.  She lost her husband as well as the other two men in her life that were the back up support system for women in her time. 
 
Ruth has journeyed with Naomi across the desert and through the rivers she has chosen to remain with Naomi, leaving behind her own people to be with this woman who has become her family.  Their future possibilities have for the most part been turned into road blocks so they do the only thing that seems like it might produce a viable future by returning to Naomi’s home town of Bethlehem.

Before they arrive Ruth pledges herself to Naomi, in a most remarkable way.  Many of you probably have heard this passage read before in a wedding ceremony.  The original context is daughter-in-law to mother-in-law, it is widow to widow, it is woman to woman.  She says “Where you go, I will go.  Where you lodge, I will lodge.  Your people shall be my people and your God my God.”

When have you journeyed with someone?  Take time to share your answer with someone today and/or share in the comment section of this post.

Prayer: God of loving kindness help me to find a way through my day where I am aware of your presence all around.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Grace

The Lost: A story about the older son