Running on Empty



Daily reading: Ruth 1:1-17
Sunday, October 18, 2015

Focus passage: I went away full, but the LORD has returned me empty.  Why would you call me Naomi, when the LORD has testified against me, and the Almighty has deemed me guilty?” Ruth 1:20-21

When have you run on empty?

Take time to speak with someone in your life about this topic today, and/or share in the comment section of this post.

What we find in this beginning of this very short book in our bible is that tragedy and heartache are not something we can just move away from, it is part of our lives.

While in Moab, Naomi’s husband dies. 

Her two sons marry after their father’s death and then they also die.
Can you imagine?

We talk in grief counseling about how unrealistic our culture is about mourning the loss of a loved one.  While we get a few days off for planning and attending funeral services it takes years to heal from the loss.  In some ways we treat grieving like getting over a bad cold.
Naomi left with her family, seeking a better life and has come up empty.
And so she heads back home, on a long, long journey across desert and rivers, carrying with her the grief of losing her husband and her two sons.

When reading this story we remember that God is present in our emptiness.

Prayer: God of loving kindness help me to find a way through my day where I am aware of your presence all around.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness