Independence




Background passage: Ruth 1:1-17
Daily reading: Ruth 2:1-2
Wednesday, October 21, 2015

So Naomi returned together with Ruth the Moabite, her daughter-in-law, who came back with her from the country of Moab.  They came the Bethlehem at the beginning of the barley harvest.
Now Naomi had a kinsmen on her husband’s side, a prominent rich, of the family of Elimelech, whose name was Boaz.
And Ruth the Moabite said to Naomi, “Let me go to the field and glean among the ears of grain, behind someone in whose sight I may find favor.” She said to her, “Go, my daughter.” Ruth 2:1-2

Ruth in following Naomi, not only leaves her connection to her own people in Moab but also her way of life.  Long gone are her days of homemaking.  She is now in the fields harvesting food for herself and Naomi.  She is the bread winner.

What an amazing story to share.  She breaks the stereotypes we have for a widow.  She is strong and independent.  

It is the goal of my husband and mine in parenting, to help raise independent children.  It was the goal of my own parents.  They didn’t reserve a different “when you grow up” conversation for my brother than they did for me and my sister.  They fully expected that my sister and I would one day have paying jobs.

Even though Ruth’s efforts only brought home enough for their daily bread, no surplus was accumulated, she was providing for her family.
Like a toddler that learns to do something for the first time and exerts their fierce independence and pride, Ruth could say “I can do it!”
Think of your own independence.  How is it empowering for you?
Also take time to think about the millions of workers around our world and in our own communities who like Ruth are only able to make enough for the day (if that).  What is God saying to you in this moment?
Take time to share with someone in your life and/or post a comment.

Prayer: God of loving kindness help me to find a way through my day where I am aware of your presence all around.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness