The last will be first



Daily reading: Matthew 20:1-16
Wednesday September 9, 2015

Focus passage: So those who are last will be first.  And those who are first will be last.  Matthew 20:16

Can you remember a time when you were first?  What did that feel like?
Can you remember a time when you were last?  How did you react to that situation?

There seems to less of a feeling of being in control when we are last than when we are first, yes?

I can think back to my elementary school days, when the team captains were not by best friends and I waited, hoping not to be the last to be chosen, but with my skinny frame, it occasionally happened.

I can remember being third chair oboe in my middle school band (there were only three chairs) so I was  … well … last.  It didn’t feel so great.
The more I thought about it, I became aware that I have been last more than I care to admit to myself.

As I female in ministry, rarely am I first and I am well aware of the inequality that exists in that field of work on a scale beyond my own congregation.

How would you respond to the landowner if you had been there all day and earned the same as the ones who had only been there an hour? 

Then flip it, how would you feel to earn a whole day’s wage when you were only able to work for one hour?

Prayer: God help me to be generous and gracious today.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness