Persistence



Daily reading: Luke 18:1-8
Sunday September 13, 2015

Focus passage: Jesus was telling them a parable about their need to pray continuously and not to be discouraged. Luke 18:1

In a recent conversation a friend said to me, “I know I am supposed to say that God never gives me more than I can handle.” 

That phrase carries a lot of baggage with me, which I own, but I have come to add an additional sentence to that one which is “yes, but we tend to take on more than we can handle.”

Perhaps the sentence is told in light of the passage we find in Matthew’s gospel in the 11th chapter beginning with verse 28, “Come to me, all you who are struggling hard and carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest.  Put on my yoke, and learn from me.  I’m gentle and humble.  And you will find rest for yourselves.  My yoke is easy to bear, and my burden is light.”

We heap burdens upon ourselves and that it is why persistent prayer is so necessary for a faithful life.  Persistent not in the way of constantly nagging God for what you want, but persistent in the way of seeking a way forward, of deciding what you need to hold onto and what you need to let go of.

Prayer: God help me to turn to you daily for guidance, discernment and support.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Grace

The Lost: A story about the older son