The Lost: A story about the older son



Daily reading: Luke 15:11-32
Saturday, August 22, 2015

Focus passage: Then the older son was furious and didn’t want to enter in, but his father came out and begged him.  He answered his father, ‘Look, I’ve served you all these years, and I never disobeyed your instruction.  Yet you’ve never given me as much as a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends.” Luke 15:28-29

The older son speaks out strongly for those who do not take risks but stay and do what is expected of them.  Through his rant we can hear familiar voices say, “but I followed the rules and did what I was told and HE DIDN’T, where is MY reward?”
But it hits on much deeper cords in our life.  Through his voice we can hear the strain and resistance to change in our lives.  We can hear the pain of moving forward and leaving behind.  We can hear the resistance to celebrate anything other than what is familiar.  We can perhaps at times (maybe more than we want to admit) relate to the self righteous rant of the older son.

Within this story yes there is the theme of being lost, being found and rejoicing, but there is also a theme of repentance.  It is perhaps unrealized until after the story is over, when the older son comes to a point of realizing that his younger brother does have worth in his family despite his past mistakes, because he too has made a mistake and that was not being able to celebrate with his younger brother and father on the day of his younger brothers return.

When we refuse to forgive and more forward we place ourselves in a space where we are lost.

Is there a situation in your life that needs forgiveness?

Prayer: God thank you for all that I have, (name all you can think of that you have) show me ways to be generous with what I have with others. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness