Find what is lost



I am beginning a new format for our daily devotions.  My hope is to begin a conversation that will build off of Sunday’s message.  The passage from Sunday’s message will be the base for the entire week’s readings, along with supplemental passages.  You are welcome to respond to the devotion, to bring questions or responses, in a way that honors a variety of voices and perspectives.  My goal is not to find a definitive answer but to expand our understanding of how God guides us through the words of the bible and God’s faithful community.

Background passage: Luke 15:11-32
Daily reading: Luke 15:4-7
Monday, August 17, 2015

Focus passage: “Suppose someone among you had one hundred sheep and lost one of them.  Wouldn’t had leave the other ninety-nine in the pasture and search for the lost one until he finds it? Luke 15:4

While in Scotland, Dan and I traveled through and past many pasture lands full of sheep.  Walking past them doesn’t really teach me much about them, however I did notice that they do have the habit of wandering off.  They are either lying down or standing and eating and moving to a place where there is fresh grass to gobble down.  Often when I read this passage, I think about how it was the sheep’s fault that it got lost.  I think it must have willfully walked away.  But that story comes later in the trio of parables about things being lost and then found. 

So I have come to realize that this might not be what the earliest audience hearing the passage would have thought.  Sheep don’t get lost, we lose them.

If the farmer only has a handful of sheep, he would most likely notice one missing right away.  But being in charge of 100 is substantial and would require some sort of organization and counting to realize that he has lost 1 sheep.

And when he realizes that he has lost one, he goes to great effort to find and retrieve the sheep.  I wonder what in my life I have lost.  Something that unless I take time to really think about it, I don’t even know that it is missing.  Maybe it is someone in my life, a relationship that I have neglected.  Maybe it is an activity that brings me joy and peace but I have pushed aside in order to deal with more pressing issues in my life.

Take time today to think about whom or what in your life might be lost.  How can you go about retrieving it?

Prayer: God thank you for all that I have, (name all you can think of that you have) show me ways to be generous with what I have with others. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness