The Law



Daily reading: Matthew 5:17-20
July 17, 2015

Focus scripture: “Don’t even begin to think that I have come to do away with the Law and Prophets.  I haven’t come to do away with them but to fulfill them.” Matthew 5:17

“For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees,  you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the best of the best, then you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 
          What?!
          At this point I wonder what’s the point of trying?
          There is this popular image of God that pervades Christian circles. It’s the image of God as an old white man with a long white beard sitting up in the clouds looking down on the earth, watching our every move and making sure that we don’t have too much fun.
          Instead what Jesus is teaching us here, is that what he is revealing through his words and actions is that God cares deeply about our communities and how we treat one another.  Love is the guiding force behind all of our actions.  And that love is grounded in both God and love for God’s creation.

Prayer:  God I love you, help me to love you and my neighbor more today.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness