The fruit of the Spirit is Self-Control



Daily reading: Galatians 5:22-24
July 15, 2015

Focus scriptures: A person without self-control is like a breached city, one with no walls. Proverbs 25:28

The end of everything has come.  Therefore, be self-controlled and clearheaded so you can pray. 1 Peter 4:7

The final part of the fruit of the Spirit is self-control.  Rather than start with it, we end with it.  We began with love and then move through the rest.  They build upon one another and it is wisdom in Paul listing it last, it is the result of living into God’s love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and gentleness.

Our self-control comes from Christ.  It grows as we grow deeper in our commitment to God through Jesus. 

While all nine components of the fruit of the Spirit are something we aspire to, depending our life circumstance they will challenge us to grow in different ways at different times.

Like with gentleness, it calls us to be grounded in God’s presence when the world around us feels like a storm that is out of control.  Self-control says, no to situations and individuals who are out of control and seek to suck us into their chaos.

When the chaos comes, and it does daily, I take time to stop and pray, “God guide my words and my reaction.”

Prayer:  God may I be centered upon your presence in my life so that when chaos comes my way, I am able to be in control of my reaction.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness