The fruit of the Spirit is Gentleness



Daily reading: Galatians 5:22-24
July 14, 2015

Focus scripture: Conduct yourselves with all humility, gentleness, and patience.  Accept each other with love, and make an effort to preserve the unity of the Spirit with the peace that ties you together.  Ephesians 4:2-3

How do you react when someone is aggressive toward you with their words?  Our self inclination might be to counter back just as strong or maybe even stronger as a means to protect ourselves.  But I have found that when I allow someone else’s aggression make me aggressive, I have allowed them to change who I am.  I am no longer grounded in gentleness, in fact it feels very far away.

We are called to embody gentleness.  While kindness is grounded in action, gentleness is more of a state of mind.  We can do acts of kindness but we describe gentleness in terms of being a spiritual state.

As you go through your day, consider how you can embody gentleness, even when you are faced with difficulty.

Prayer:  God I pray for your gentleness to wash over me today.  May it guide spirit.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace