If I don't do it ...



Daily reading: Exodus 18:13-26
July 29, 2014

Focus scripture: When Moses’ father-in-law saw all that he was doing for the people he said, “What’s this that you are doing for the people?  Why do you sit alone, while all the people are standing around you from morning until evening?” Exodus 18:14

What Moses didn’t understand is that by being the only one to settle disputes in his community, he wasn’t allowing anyone else to settle disputes.

He also didn’t understand until his father-in-law pointed it out to him that by saying yes to settling the disputes he was saying no to so many other opportunities in his day.

I find that rather than saying no, I try to cram more in.  I get more busy and at the end of the week I am able to see that I really didn’t get more done, I just unknowingly said no to a lot of things I didn’t mean to say no to.  Like time with my kids, or time for myself to unwind.

Find time this week to go over your calendar.  What are you saying yes to and what are you saying no to?  Are you making time to develop your relationship with God and with a community of faith?

Prayer:  God help me to better balance my day so that I don’t take on my than I should.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Faithfulness

Grace