Desiring God



Daily reading: Psalm 42
July 28, 2015

Focus scripture: Just like a deer that craves streams of water, my whole being craves you, God.  My whole being thirsts for God, for the living God.  Psalm 42:1-2a

What do you desire? 

The psalmist proclaims in Psalm 42 “As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.”

Our desires can be like a strong thirst that needs to be quenched.  About a month ago my son and I were driving around to different shops and it was extremely hot outside.  The afternoon temperature had reached 100 degrees and it was certainly hotter in our car.

As we left our final shop, I told him how thirsty I was and commented that once we got home I was going to drink a lot of water.  It was all I could focus on.  Cool, refreshing water.

Just like our desire for cool water on a hot day, the psalmist speaks of deeply desiring God. We were created to desire God and the things that God desires.

Take time today to think about the things that God desires for your life.  Take time today to slowly read Psalm 42 and hear what words of wisdom it has for you today.

Prayer:  God help me to desire the things you desire for me so that I can be more aware of your presence in my life.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Faithfulness

Grace