Lightened Load



Daily reading: Matthew 11:20-30
April 30, 2015

Focus scripture: “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”  Matthew 11:28

We can certainly pile a lot of expectations upon ourselves:  We over schedule our own lives and the lives of our children.  I know that I am guilty of this; I can’t count how many times I have said to my husband “when did you tell me you would be out of town this weekend for business?”
 
Clearly I wasn’t paying attention when he informed me the first time.  It seems like every fall we brace ourselves as we receive the numerous calendars that will inform us when our children are needed after school and on the weekends and then we have to synch that with our own calendars.

Our over scheduled lives leave little room for a break.  

Jesus beacons to us, “come to me if you are weary.”  He promises to lighten our load.  But he can’t do that if we don’t in the first place hand him our schedules. 
The first step is to be in prayer with God about the things you have going on.  What needs are pressing?  What activities bring you joy?  Do you have Sabbath time scheduled in?  Does the list make you feel sick to your stomach and go into panic mode?  

Prioritize your list.  Allow some things to be taken off (hear lightening your load).  Make sure that you have space built in so that when a need arises (hear opportunity that God is presenting to you) you are able to respond not from a place of weariness but from healthy renewal.

Prayer:  I place in your capable hands God, the things that drag me down.  Help me to find rest in your presence and guide me this day through my activities and interactions with others.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness