A new thing



Daily reading: Isaiah 43:1-21
April 29, 2015

Focus scripture: I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? Isaiah 43:19

I was recently at a retreat where I walked a lot.  There are beautiful paths in the desert landscape that brought a sense of calm to my life.  A friend wondered out loud to the group if we were able to walk the same path more frequently than a couple times a year, how would that be?  Would it become familiar like walking down the hallway of your house?  Would the newness wear off and not pull you in?
I have begun walking in the desert mountains to prepare for my pilgrimage walk for my sabbatical this summer.  While the walk is still somewhat new, I have found that it is never the same.  Different cacti are in bloom each week.  Rain or lack of rain changes the color of the rocks and the leaves on the plants.  Cloud cover or bright sun changes the experience:  As well as my mood. 
God didn’t create a static world for us to live in.  It is constantly changing.
God doesn’t want us to go through life on autopilot, expecting to experience the well worn path the same way each day.

We get stuck in churches expecting the faithfulness of those in the past to create the firm foundation for our present that often times becomes static. Through the prophet Isaiah, God says, “I’m doing a new thing; now it sprouts up; don’t you recognize it?” (Isaiah 43:19) 

Open your eyes to the new thing God is doing in your life and in the life of your community.  

Prayer: God I praise you for creating something new.  For helping me to unclench my hands to the past and to open them up to receive what you have to offer to me today.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness